Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What an adventure!

Maybe, more like a three ring circus. Yup, I spent most of Monday at the court house like a nice, upstanding citizen. It wasn't at all like it was the last time that I was summoned for jury duty. I can't say that they have improved their system; in fact, it's worse. The county has started scheduling all of their trial by jury cases at the same time, so they needed jurors for eight cases. Which means that they summoned over four hundred citizens to appear for selection ! It was completely insane ! No where to park, nowhere to sit, and everything was running behind schedule. My group was assigned to a homicide case. They called 60 people, randomly drew the names of 36 of them; Then, spent most of the day asking stupid questions. Every time some was excused for good cause, (illness in the family, funerals, similar situations) they drew another name to replace them so that each lawyer could eliminate jurors each. Then, they drew six more names so that we could go through the same process again, in order to get two alternates. Thankfully, my name was never called. Unfortunately, I had to sit there waiting for 5 hours while they went through the whole process.
The last time that I was summoned, it only took a couple of hours to make the jury selection. Of course, that case wasn't a homicide. (some guy had threatened his ex-girlfriend with a knife at a bar.)
Well, at least now, I'm excused from having to go through that for the next two years.

I think that I'm finally starting to feel better. The weather has finally gotten back to the way it should be for January and my headaches seem to be gone. I go through this every spring and every fall when the weather switches from cool to warm, or vice-versa. I shouldn't have to go through it in the middle of winter too. It would be nice if I could actually enjoy a little unexpected warm weather, but my body doesn't cope with surprises very well any more.

Today has been a fairly productive day. I was so exhausted last night that I went to bed early and was up at 5:AM! (not at all normal for me!) I got a bunch of house work done before noon, accomplished some goals on a couple of projects, (see my Basement blog) Cooked dinner, and got some baking done that I've been putting off for a couple of days! Yay, me!
Also, I had sent out several resumes about 10 days ago and I was starting to think that I wasn't going to hear back from anyone. Today, I got a call for an interview on Friday afternoon. It sounds like a pretty good position, so I am really excited about it. I need to get a few things together for them tonight, so I need to get moving. Wish me luck everyone!!!

Good Night All !

3 howled back:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Honey in getting that job If any one could do that job well it is you. I will call the boss there and tell them what a mistack they would be making if they dont hire you . loveyou.

Auburn~haired~artist said...

You only say that because I've managed to take care of your butt for the past 20 years without killing anyone.

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

You sat waiting for 5 hours! Ahhhhh, the joys of American jurisprudence. At least you did your part.

Good night, San. You deserve a nice, deep sleep. Dream well.