Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Staying content.

It's Monday, Or it was Monday, I guess technically, it's Tuesday now. Anyway, The last few days have been lovely. Saturday was rough. I just felt stressed and at loose ends, but Sunday, I said to hell with everything and got to work on my drawing. I laid out the basic sketch on Friday night and Saturday morning, and Sunday, I transfered it onto a sheet of good drawing paper and started to work. I was a little worried that I might have forgotten how to do this, but it's all coming back. I spent most of my day Sunday working on it, in between dealing with the kids, my regular grocery store runs, and dealing with the dogs. Today, it was just too cold to get out and go anywhere. (although my dogs begged to differ) The temps have steadily dropped all day and the wind is blowing everything around outside - not a day fit for such a delicate flower as myself to be out. So when I got up this morning, I threw a load of laundry in the wash, and started back to work. I LOVE having my drawing table in the kitchen, it's so warm and convenient, but mostly warm - I like that.

When I went to go check the wash, I discovered that our basement drain was, once again, not doing the job that a drain is intended to do. Tsk, Tsk. I called my hubby, who told me that the plumber guy (that's what we call him now) couldn't make it out until Tuesday afternoon. Isn't that a shame? Since I couldn't finish the laundry until sometime Tuesday afternoon, I was left with no other option, but to spend my day working on my drawing - oh well. (actually, I decided to blow off all my other chores) Anyway, in spite of Pete's constant whinging and whimpering that it was time for his walk, I managed to have a really good time today.

When the kids came home things got a little crazy. At one point, I had Jake, Quentin, Chrissy, Summer, and Tyler all in the living room; and Heather, Hailey, Alexis, and Bub in the family room, and of course, five dogs running amok trying to figure out who was willing to give them the maximum attention. This is the normal 3 to 6PM crew. However, from my drawing table, I can easily hear, and mostly see, both rooms, so I just kept right on working. It's been so long since I've done any drawing, I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy working with colored pencils. Unfortunately, I have to deal with the "plumber guy" tomorrow, and I really should get some house work done . . . so I won't have as much time to play.

Heather brought home her mid year report card today. I'm very pleased. She is doing really well in school this year. They have already sent home enrollment forms for next year. I think that she's a little concerned about going to junior high school next year, but Jake will still be there as a ninth grader and he's pretty popular. He won't let anyone give his little sister any grief. It's amazing how well the two of them get along. Besides, she has met and befriended a lot of Jake's friends this year. 7th graders who have 9th grade friends are generally considered too cool to ridicule.
Now Jake, on the other hand, seems to be having a hard time locating his report card - again. I went to the parent access site on the computer and looked up his grades - I can understand why. Of course, I've been checking up on his daily assignments for the past month, so I was already prepared for the final grades. He and I had a nice long chat before Christmas break, and so far this semester, he is holding up his end of the bargain. But he knows the consequences if he starts to slack off. Next year's grades will start to count towards his graduation credits, so he can't afford to screw up anymore.

Well, I hate to disappoint everyone, but there just isn't much else happening around here. As Roy likes to say, "We're too poor to pay attention." So instead of complaining, I am staying content with my art, and doing my best to keep the "animals" fed and their cages clean and tidy here at "The Zoo." I know that I need to get myself off to bed. It's late. and I need to be up in the morning. (as in, before noon!) Good night everyone.

Love ya,

2 howled back:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you indeed had a lovely day! Hopefully the plumber guy will com and rectify the drainage situation for you early tomorrow that you may have more time to relax and enjoy your Tuesday as well.

Glad to hear things are shaping up... talk to you soon,

Anonymous said...

I love that you are drawing again. Love that - good for you, I feel happy!!