Monday, March 3, 2008

Another late night


Hey there !






I'm sorry I haven't blogged in a while, but my husband and daughter have apparently hijacked my computer. I've been spending a large part of my day refereeing the two of them as they bicker over whose turn it is on the computer, and who has been on the longest.

Heather, of course has a ton of on line friends that she simply MUST remain in constant contact with; and my husband, has a new fetish - on line Texas hold em! (on Face Book) The scrabble infatuation has worn off (mostly because I keep winning, I think) but this is even worse. He doesn't have to wait for someone else to make a move, or play a word, with cards, he can jump into a game anytime. As if football, basketball, and every off the wall "sport" on ESPN wasn't bad enough ! I don't know if it's become apparent to anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis, but my husband is a very "addictive" personality type. The fact that his family are all on face book doesn't help much either. His whole family has been sending me "gifts" and invitations to play some crazy, goofy game at least five or six times a day. I've reached the point that I don't even want to check my mail, or my Face book account. I just delete everything on my page except messages, and scrabble stuff. I used to worry about offending them, but they just don't give up !! I can't imagine anyone having THAT much time on their hands. Seems like they always have to have something to distract them from reality.

I probably shouldn't bitch. With my husband being otherwise distracted for the past week, I've been spending all my spare minutes reading. I'm already done with the second book in the series I mentioned in my last post. I don't get a chance to really enjoy a book very often, but when I do, I just gobble them up. Usually, I make a list of books that I've been wanting to read, and if I'm lucky, I get a couple for Christmas or my birthday. Usually, it only takes me a few days to consume them, then I'm back to the real world. I guess I just needed an escape, so I splurged and bought them. Besides, since Heather is reading them for school, I sort of feel like I can justify it - a little.
I haven't heard anything from Nick in response to my last letter. I'm not sure what to make of that. I sort of threw some "tough love" at him in my last letter. (basically told him to pull his head out of his ass and grow up.) I've never really been fond of the whole tough love concept. I think it's too easy for people to abuse, and use it as an excuse to be selfish, self centered, assholes. I think that most of the people that tough love is directed at, (usually teens)would probably be more impacted if they actually received a little kindness, understanding, and affection. I think "tough love" is only effective if there's a foundation of trust and respect - and that usually isn't the case. Most parents that advocate tough love, are weary and desperate. I know how that feels, but there is nothing that can be substituted for doing the real work required to build a relationship. Anyway, I'm being patient and hopeful. My son is not stupid. In spite of all the abuse he has given it, his brain still works pretty good. He'll figure it out.

Other than that, I can't think of alot that's new, or note worthy. Seems like all the little things that are so important get lost in the blur of life that keeps whizzing by. I'll be glad when I get the other computer back up and running and I won't have to fight so hard for my time. Life makes more sense to me when I can look at it a little piece at a time.

Right now, it's late, and a have a few rowdy (and fury) "children" that need to be settled down before I can get myself to bed. It's been raining and thundering all day, and Pete has been a nervous wreck. Now that it's stopped, he has a whole days' worth of energy and tension that needs to be released. The fact that it's 4AM, means nothing to him. So, I'm off to try and reason with the unreasonable mind of a neurotic Labrador retriever. I may have to break out the peanut butter.




Have a great week.
Love ya,
Susan




2 howled back:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you post again!!! It's always a delight to read what you have on your mind and heart.

It sounds to me that Santa may need to bring you guys a wireless router next year and some laptops! Wouldn't that be nifty to get everyone their own computer and never have to share?

I think you're doing what you have to with Nick, I agree that love goes a lot further when administered gently and lovingly, but sometimes you have to throw it with all your might and shake someone's foundations with it too in order to snap them into the real world.

I"ve to get to work...

later,
-C

Anonymous said...

hey you, glad to read you again...it's just nice hearing all your news.

i wrote you a letter yesterday, whinging about the puppy and all the poos and wee's he is doing in my house on my carpet, boo hoo!!

take care,

love mel