Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lazy, crazy kind of day

Well, it's 10:30 PM, and I've done a whole lot of nothing all day. I feel so bad. (not really.) I had a whole list of "To-do's" but I never really got around to it. I slept in, took a long, hot shower, went to the store, and since it was a beautiful 60 degree day, I took the dogs for a long walk. However, There were a couple of interesting things that happened in between all that.

I got a rather interesting wake up call this morning. When the phone rang I reached over, looked at the caller ID, and saw that it was from Jake's school. To be honest, had it been anyone else, I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep. But when the school calls, a mom has to answer the phone. My first thought was "Oh no, he can't be sick two days before spring break starts." But when the woman on the other end of the line turned out to be the principal instead of the nurse, I did my best to try and sound like I'd been up since 6 AM. (I don't think she bought it.) Because her first comment had me questioning whether I was awake or not.
She said, "I'm just calling to let you know that I priced dry erase board -erasers at Office Depot, and they are $1.77. "

I had no idea what she was talking about. So I said, "Uh, okay . . .thanks." another long pause.

Finally, she sighed and said, "Jake didn't tell you about the incident a few days ago ?"

"Uh, Nooooo . . ." I said opening one eye.

She went on to explain, " Apparently, a few days ago, one of Jake's teachers caught him poking an eraser (for the class dry erase board) with a pencil. She asked him to please stop, (which he did.) and later, she realised that he had poked the words 'f--k you' into the side of it. We discussed the incident, and it was decided that Jake would pay for a new dry eraser."

"uh humm, I see . . . " I mumbled, trying to sound concerned.

"And I wanted to let you know that they cost $1.77. We gave the information to Jake, but I thought I should let you know as well."

"Ummmm, okay . . . . thanks, I'll take care of it." I said as I hung up.

THEN, I rolled over and went back to sleep.
Even after I woke up half an hour later, I wasn't completely sure that I didn't dream the whole thing, until I asked Jake about it. Jake was home from school when I got back from walking the dogs.

I said, "Jacob, have you been vandalising school property ?"

For a moment Jake's eyes were blank, then he seemed to put it all together. "Oh, yyeeeaah . . . I guess I did."

"Well, that little prank is going to set you back exactly one dollar and seventy -seven cents. I certainly hope that you have learned a lesson from this." I said. (Rather sternly, I might add.)

"Uh, okay, Mom."

Then I added, "And next time you have contact with school authorities, let me know about it, so that I don't look like an ass, please ?"

"Uh, Okay, Mom"

Sheesh ! A dollar seventy - seven !! How am I supposed to be all bad assed and outraged over a dollar seventy-seven !!! I'm not sure if I should ground him for it, or give him a gold star for spelling it correctly !

The other interesting, unexpected event also came in the form of a phone call. As I was pulling the ham out of the oven, and preparing to make some macaroni and cheese to go with it for dinner, the phone rang and the caller ID showed "unknown caller." Usually, that means that it's a solicitor and I considered not even answering it. I'm glad that I did, because it turned out to be Nick. For some reason, unknown to either of us at the time, Nick was transferred back to Johnson County jail. He was borrowing time from another inmate's card, so he only had a second to talk, and tell me that he had visitation at 8 PM. I hung up, looked at my watch. It was 7:15 PM. I called the Jail to find out why he had been brought back. (so that I would have some information to tell Nick, because they hadn't even told him !) They informed me that he had a court date on his Prairie Village DUI this morning; however, they were unable to get him back in time for it. So basically, it just turned out to be a waste of time. Anyway, I got up to visit Nick and we had a nice visit. I think that they are going to hold him here until they can set another date. (maybe a week or so ?) I'm going to make some calls and try to find out tomorrow. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him to have no control over anything in his life. They show up to move him somewhere, without any notice, they don't tell him where he is going, or why, and when he gets there, he finds out that it was all for nothing. I guess the moral of the story is: Be very, very good children, or you'll end up in a bad place where chaos and insanity reign.

Well, in the process of writing this blog I have managed to finally get myself fed, and I should probably go try to accomplish something. If I don't, I'll wake up tomorrow morning and be so overwhelmed, that I'll spend hours walking around the house in my jammies muttering to myself. Of course, that's what I usually do.

Have a great day, Love to all,

P.S. I've been wondering, what has become of my friend Christopher ? I wonder if he is off on another adventure ? Where ever you are C., I hope all is well and you come back soon !

1 howled back:

mel said...

Yes, where are you Mr Christoph?
Hope all is well.

I'm glad I am not the only one having a 'humphy' day. I have been meaning to do so many wonderful things but have done actually nothing.

I even told a small lie to the woman who does my bible study class and feigned total shock when she gently asked me where I was yesterday for our session.
I'm not having my most honourable day and to top it off I spent all my dad's money on McDonalds. :(

But you know...tomorrow should be a better day.
for me and for you

love mel xxx