Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Job that never ends

Oh my, I am so tired. After I did schoolwork with Heather, I decided that I absolutely had to do some house work. The weather has been so nice lately, that I have sort of let my chores slide a bit. I decided that with Roy being at home more, the living room probably needed the most attention, so I figured I'd spend an hour or so straightening, dusting, and vacuuming, before I went outside to play. HA ! Have you ever had one of those days when a quick, little job turns into a monster ? Not only did that happen, but once I got started, I couldn't seem to quit! I went from the living room, to the kitchen, to the basement laundry room. I didn't make it outside to play until after dinner.

As I mentioned, this past week has been a little chaotic and house work hasn't been my biggest priority, but I have made a few half-hearted attempts. Earlier this week, I started to do some laundry, but when I tried to turn on the dryer, it made a loud pop, tripped the breakers, and quit working as an electrical odor filled the room. The poor thing has been behaving erratically, and on it's last leg for the past several months. In anticipation of it biting the dust, Roy brought home a used dryer and did some work to it. So yesterday, when Roy declared the dryer dead, the guys hauled the old one away, and replaced it with the one that has been sitting in the garage. I hadn't been downstairs since then. Mostly, because I know what to expect when the guys do work in the basement. They tend to move everything around to make space, drag all the tools out, and when they're done, they just turn out the lights and walk away, leaving the clean up and reorganization for me. So, just folding a load of laundry turned into a messy, two hour adventure.

Thankfully, since I was exhausted, Roy volunteered to grill the burgers on the bar-be-que outside. So I got to lay down for a few minutes before dinner- yay ! Unfortunately, while I was resting, and Roy was outside bar-be-queing; Jake, Heather, and two or three of their friends, commandeered my newly cleaned living room. - Not good. When I got home from walking the dogs, I learned that Jake asked if a couple of his friends could spend the night.
So now they are all finally in bed and I'm sitting here looking at my days work, and I'm feeling just a bit discouraged. *Sigh* Oh well, motherhood is the job that never ends, apparently.

My oldest son is currently unaccounted for. He disappeared after dinner and came home about three hours ago. It seems that he still isn't taking the house rules seriously, so he was reminded what the consequences are. He collected his alarm clock, because he is supposed to work tomorrow, and he left. I suspect that he is spending the night with his new found drinking buddy down the street. I doubt that he has any long term plans, but it's looking like he'll have to make some very soon. I don't know what else to do.

Well, it's late, I need to get myself off to bed. I've got a long list of other chores that need to be dealt with tomorrow.

Good night,

1 howled back:

Anonymous said...

Yep, motherhood is never ending. so is the housework the attitudes of everyone in the house thinking that "mum can clean it up"
grrrrr. really gets me annoyed too.

hang in there! my house is a bomb as well so don't feel so bad :))