Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Halloween Movie List

Hi, It's me again.

I'm carefully pecking at the keyboard because I just did my nails and I don't want to screw them up. It's been ages since the last time I painted my nails ! I used to be so particular about them, but now . . .pffffft! I wouldn't even have done them this evening, if it weren't for Halloween. I am going to dress up like an early 1900's (very gothic) doctor's wife/assistant - who just happens to be dead. So, of course, my nails are black. I just wish that I hadn't broken them all off working on the asylum. I've always had very long, healthy nails, but that's another vanity that I just don't have much time for lately. Oh well.

I'm sitting here tonight watching "An American Werewolf in London." One of my all time favorite spooky movies. I watch a lot of horror films, all kinds, but some of my favorites are not what you would think. Nightmare on Elm street, Halloween, and Friday the 13th, were all fine - the FIRST time. I hate horror movie sequels, but somehow, I always get sucked into watching them. The ones I like best, well, most people probably wouldn't even call them horror movies. I like legends that send a chill down your spine, ones filled with fantasy and imagination, but still, somehow believable. (in as much as any movie can be.) Also, a little romance and humor is good even in a spooky movie. If I don't care about the characters, what do I care if they end up dead? Depravity, blood, guts and gore is only good for an initial shock effect, and after a while, it's boring. I'm not real impressed by all of it. It doesn't make a movie memorable. Some of my favorite Halloween movies are:
An American Werewolf in London,
Practical Magic,
The shinning,
Lost boys,
Interview with the Vampire,
The Exorcism of Emily Rose,
The Legend of sleepy Hollow (with Johnny Depp,)
Van Helsing,
Dracula (the one with Frank Langela,)
Frankenstein (with Robert De Niro as the monster)
Hell boy was okay,
Frighteners (with Michael J. Fox,)
Constantine (with Keneau Reeves,)
And I know it's silly, but I LOVE the Disney movie, Hocus Pocus. The one with Sarah Jessica Parker and Bette Middler? It's a movie that truly captures the spirit of what Halloween was like for me as a kid. When I think of Halloween, THAT'S what I imagine.

Oh Lord, I have to go now, It's 12:30 AM, and Pete is stirring up trouble with Princess. They're just like kids - and so predictable. If I don't go deal with him, he's going to end up getting his ass kicked by a girl -again. He MUST like it, he never seems to learn.

Good night,
Love,
Susan

1 howled back:

Anonymous said...

I loved Hocus Pocus! When we used to have Chloe come and stay with us, we had it on video and she would watch it over and over again each time she visited...it's a great film. My kids have seen it and loved it as well.
The bigger girl..she was from that Sister Act movie too - I love her.

Sleeping Hollow was awesome, that was the headless horseman thing wasn't it? very good.

You know, I'm a total wuss over horror films, The Ring was officially my last foray into the world of terror and head-messing. But when I was younger, oh I saw all of them. I've never quite recovered from Michael Myers, I was TEN years old when I saw that. Argh!

I"ve got interview with a vampire...and all of those Anne Rice vampire collection books. I tried to get back into it all a few weeks ago when I was really sick. It's good stuff and I had a crush on Louie. (well der, it's an immortal brad pitt!)

My kids are going through a werewolf obsession right now and I got them out a film from the library called "The Company of Wolves" it's an old one but they thought it was good. I'll have to put them onto Werewolves in London...maybe in a few years! O has started wetting the bed and asking me a trillion questions about werewolves..I just keep telling him it's all makeup and effects but he doesn't entirely believe me. All three kids are also watching Michael Jackson "Thriller" every week..they love that full version and E knows the zombie moves already. :)

Oh, it's a good time for talking about horror flicks...spooky halloween!